1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
It's getting pretty crazy around here. We've got video shoots going on, flying out to SXSW, releasing a new LP, going to Europe at the end of March, doing a U.S. tour after that, doing some other fly-out stuff and Mexico, Japan, Australia, etc.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
The new album is more metal.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
Desperation, anger, aggression, terror, death, evil, possession, lust and sin.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
It's named for a Repulsion song, but I'm told they got it from Tolkien.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We played some local shows recently that were fuckin crazy! They seem to be getting more wild as the months drag on, which is great. Other cool shows were Maryland Death Fest a couple years ago, the open air fests we played in Europe last year, our first Stockholm show, a last-minute Berlin show we played after a scheduled show last year was raging. The west coast is always fun. Our stage performance is full of hair and heads banging, kids flying everywhere (ideally), ears ringing, people letting loose. We try and play tight and sometimes it works better than others.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
7. On a worldwide level how has your newer music been received by fans of death metal and crustcore?
It seems like reviews of the new record are fairly positive so far and that's awesome!
8. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Hard to say, we always have extra riffs laying around but we'll probably start consciously writing new shit pretty soon. We'll probably come up with some ideas on where we want to go next fairly soon. Stay tuned...
9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the sound of the new album and also what are you listening to nowadays?
A few come to mind... Slayer, Autopsy, Repulsion, Dismember, Trouble, Black Sabbath, Entombed, Bathory, Metallica, Obituary, Witchery, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Dio, Discharge, Celtic Frost, Anti-Cimex, etc. My recent favorite records (not necessarily new though) have been Spooky Tooth - Spooky Two, The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre, new Bastard Priest.
10. What role does Satanism and Occultism play in the music?
It's an influence for sure. It's hard to fuck around with metal and not be into that stuff in some way. There has been some dabbling in blood-letting and trying to conjure up some dark shit, but nothing too crazy. For the most part we just do what feels good. If the song moves us in some way we do it.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Music takes up most of my time, but designing shit, movies, printing shirts, working on boats, skateboarding reading, cooking, and hanging out with buddies seems to take up the rest.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Final thoughts, final thoughts. Haha, thanks!