Thursday, August 1, 2013

Miserable Failure Interview

 1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have
never heard of you before?
Rom :We are two losers in their thirties, bound to defeat and going nowhere.
This project (MF) in really young but we have been long time activists in
our local scene. Bleu has been running a record label based in south of
France for more than 10 years and has released a lot of stuff and I have
been playing in various band since 96-97, released several EP, album, toured
a lot accross Europe etc for past 15-20 years.
One day, we decided to finally work together differently than me being a
musician and him being a label / promoter / booker / touring buddy and this
project was born.
It was like : "we should finally do something together as a band"
I said : "ok, I will try something at home tonight". I got home and plugged
my guitar in the amp, tried a bunch of riffs with some drums programming
over it and the day after, I had like 3-4 minutes of music and he said
"thats exactly what I wanted". MF was born.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Rom : I would say its grindcore in the sense I think its the kind of mix
that matches what is grindcore for me.
Basically punk hardcore that goes even faster but with something else in the
loop.
An angry mix of fast, over simple and basic punk riffs, mixed with death
metal riffing with an overall punkish and crusty feeling of spontaneity.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores
with the music?
Rom : Everything that has pissed us off for the past 30 years, from being
surronded by the endless human stupidity, to be understood by nodoby, to
live a life that is bound to impossibility, to have dedicated our existence
to things we believed in and finally realized we were among the few that
really believed in some values, that everything is illusion, that love and
friendship are weakness that the others know how to use to hurt you.Well,
generally speaking, the fact that everything is a fucking joke that doesn't
amuse us anymore.

Yes, we are angry, we are surely weak because we have been disappointed by
life and people, but at least being angry and disappointed produces angry
music.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Rom : We came up with the idea of this name very simply, It came really fast
because that's the best description we could make of ourselves, a real
miserable, pityfull, pathetic failure.

5.Has the band done any live shows or is this a studio project?
Rom : For the moment, we never did any shows. Its part of our projects but
its not a priority, we'll do when we'll be ready.
At the moment we are focused on our next EP that will hopefully be out
somewhere early 2014

6. Recently Kaotoxin released a 3 way split, what are your thoughts on
the other bands that participated?
Bleu :When we sent our 5 short tracks, Nico instantly wanted to release a
split cd with FSFFY. I know Kevin an Adrien,who both play in Benighted very
well and they were ok to do the split... Nico found a last band with a
background, it was Infexted Society. We are happy to have IS on split cd to
deliver 3 kinds of fench grindcore.

Rom : To me the human aspect is the most important. We both are very happy
to be part of this project with these 2 great bands. Its important to create
bonds with people with whom you have things in common.
Infected society have a past history in various bands and their actual
project is ass kicking. Thats the sound of hate the way I like it. period
F stands for fuck you has a unique approach to the style and they have my
deepest respect because I would never be abble to create such things. This a
really fresh and original take on a style where most has already been said.



7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by
fans of grindcore?
Rom : To be honest I really have no idea, I spent most of my time cut from
everything and everyone and I don't read the internet, Bleu is the guy for
that.

Bleu : The first reaction are very positive, we are kindly surprised.

8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a
full time line up?
Rom : I have a lot of projects, but everything must stay at the place it
should. All my projects involving other people than myself ( I mean actual
bands, not the things I do alone in my room) are full time projects. It just
needs a perfect sense of weekly organization, but I think I'm pretty good at
that.

Bleu Still runs a smaller scaled than before record label and is busy as a
familly man

9. What direction do your see your music heading into on future releases?
Rom : Actually the EP we are working on is more straight forward, I really
want it to be a pure agression, an insult, a spit in the face.
Then we have another thing under wraps that we can't talk about for the
moment.
Once these 2 things will be done, we'll start to work on a real album, still
straight forward but with more varied influences to keep things interesting
on a 30 minutes basis.



10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your
music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Bleu : We are Big fans of Misery Index, anaal nathrak, nasum, pig destroyer,
napalm death, rotten sound, victims, early morbid angel and early sepultura.
We are fans of extreme music as a whole and also other kinds of music like
hip hop, Trip hop....

Rom : Regarding extreme music its basically the same thing as Bleu exept
that I'd have added Phobia as a major influence for MF.
Besides this, I listen to a lot of Hip Hop, movies OST, ambient stuff, old
french songs from my childhood etc...



11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Bleu : We like art & tattoo culture. We are Big fan of zombie, horror,  good
super heros movie's...

Rom : I do skateboarding since my teens, I read peotry and do some kind of
sculpture when I don't play music, I try to enlarge my vision of things by
learning from everything I can.
I like to spend time with my friends and share our point of view, memories
or experiences

12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Bleu : A Big thanks to Nico for releasing this split cd and you for our
first interview. And never Forget :"music before everything".

Rom : This final part is of course for Nicolas, the owner of Kaotoxin, no
need for long speech, he knows how we appreciate is help and support.
I will just say something we don't say very often : Thank you.

And thank you for your interest and this interview.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment