Thursday, February 13, 2014

Left in Ruins Interview

  • Can you give us an introduction to the band for those that will be hearing of you for the first time?

LIR is a four-piece punk band born in 2010 in Trento, Italy. Since then we changed some bass players and drummers and toured a lot in Europe. Right now LIR are Piff (guitar), Dani (bass), Lorenz (drums) and me, Olly (vocals).
We play fast and angry music, but maybe when Piff will be back from India (he is on a travel in India at the moment), we will start to play some ethnic music. Let's see.

2.Recently you released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction it has taken, and also how does it differ from your previous album?

Yeah a few months ago we released “Ghost”, our longest record till now: 10-tracks in 13.40 minutes.

Differences between this record and the old ones?...probably is a bit slower, but still too fast for “normal” people. Anyway we just write and play music we like.

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your new release and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

The lyrics in “Ghost” are mainly about growing up in a society where you can't find your own dimension, a place to call home.
Some songs are more political and some are more personal-and-introspective. I'm not a songwriter, I just write about how I feel living in this fucked up world.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Left In Ruins'?

Look around you. There's no love and respect for anything, for the planet, for human-and-not-human beings, for ourselves. We, the humans, destroy and leave it in ruins.
(Anyway we started the band as “Shitsucker” that was way better).

5.What are some of the best show that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Oh, in the past three years we played a lot of shows and a lot of unforgettable ones. I think everyone in the band (actually none of us played all the shows, but this is a long story) has a different opinion on which ones were the best. Personally I think when we played on Fluff Fest in 2012 was incredible: you know I've been there every year since 2008 and finally having the chance to play on the tent stage was like a dream coming true; I was trembling, I had an injured feet, but the show was really cool, there were some people singing our songs, a few stage divings and some moshers. Probably was not the best show for the crowd, but for me had a sentimental value, I'm a romantic. (Anyway we didn't play during the weekend days but at the pre-fest in the tent stage).
Other amazing shows were the last 4 times we played in Berlin (much love to the guys in Sleaze Shows), when we played the first time with Vitamin X in Vicenza (Italy) back in 2012, a show we played in Venezia (Italy) at the end of 2012, the 2 gigs we played in Oporto in 2013 (we love Portugal so much!!) and a crazy gig we played in Istanbul in Summer 2012.
Our set: short, fast and loud (and hopefully enjoyable for the people attending to it).

6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the new release?
We toured for about 20 days last November/December. We played some really good shows and we had a lot of fun.
As I wrote before, Piff is travelling in India and I'm living in Barcelona at the moment so no shows 'till May/June. Can't wait to start practicing again and go on tour in Summer.
We will play some shows in Italy and some festivals in Europe and we will go on tour at the end of June.

7.The new album came out on Per Kono, Ruins and Epidemic Records, do you feel these record labels have done a lot when it comes to getting your music heard out there?

Fuck yeah, they put a lot of energies and money in releasing our record, I think that is already enough.
All of them are helping us spreading our music by sending records to fanzines and webzines.
Pedro and Mario of Ruins Records helped us with our new music video for “I'm Bored”.
Much love to Markus, Gab and Pedro (and all the other dudes in Ruins Records).

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of crust, punk and hardcore?

Mmmmm...in Europe is quite good.
We had some positive feedbacks from the US and South America. Hope to flight for a tour over there soon or later.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

No idea. Since Lorenz and Dani arrived in the band we never wrote any new music, so it will be something new to us.
It will be really funny and inspiring.
Everyone in the band has different musical backgrounds and I'm sure we will do something good mixing all our influences.
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
NIRVANA.

Personally, I'm always listening to music and I always try to listen to something new (even if it's old) for me. But yeah lately I'm listening to a lot of Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Neon Pearl, Tame Impala, Goats, Comadre, Cult Ritual, Ravi Shankar, Das Oath, Rvivr, Reagan Youth, The Velvet Underground, Rites Of Spring, Fugazi, Husker Du and tons of other bands/artists.
As you can see I like a lot of different music.
11.Do you have any non musical interests?

Yeah. I do screen printing and I love it. With my girlfriend I'm starting a project called “La Follia”, we will print t-shirts, posters, hopefully start a zine and maybe release a few records. I love art in general. I take every chance I have to travel and meet people. I like cooking (strictly vegan).
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?


Thank you for your interest in LIR,is really appreciated. Sorry for the delay in answering the questions, but I've been quite busy lately.
See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment