1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
The new record came out in August and we just finished a run of shows on the west coast. We have a few more one-off shows coming up in Oct/Nov, and then we'll probably spend the winter continuing writing for the next record. Touring in the winter is miserable.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new release and how it differs from previous releases?
It's very much in the same vein as the EP. There is a bit more variety with song lengths and speeds, but that's more a result of the time you have on an EP vs and LP than anything else.
3. What where some of the ideas behind the song writing of the new release?
The basic idea is to write songs that are as good, if not better than the last record. Otherwise the approach and process is still the same from the last record. we're abut halfway done writing the next record and we haven't changed anything writing-wise.
4. Out off all of the shows that the band has played so far which one did you enjoy the most?
We played a thrasher show in Austin and split a set with Trap Them. It was Trap Them's show and we weren't supposed to play, but to get around that we set up 2 drum kits and traded off for the whole show. TT did a song, then we did a song, etc. It was probably the most fun I've ever had playing a show.
5. Are there any plans for a European tour?
Yeah we're hoping to come over to Europe in the spring/summer of 2012. I'm not sure if we'll do a proper tour or just some festivals, but either way we're trying to make a trip to Europe happen.
6. What is going on with the other band these days?
Converge is writing and I think will be recording a new record soon. Bloodhorse has basically a new record written, but we're all busy doing other bands at the moment so I have no idea when or if that will happen. I can't really say for certain what HopeCon is up to. I'd imagine they'd do another record at some point, but that's simply an assumption on my part.
7. On a worldwide level how has your new material been received by underground music fans?
It seems like it's been fairly well received I guess? We don't pay all that much attention to reviews, but people have said positive things to us, so I'd imagine it's not being universally panned.
8. What direction do you see the band heading into on future releases?
If you've heard either of our 2 records I think you get the jist.
9. How would you describe the support that Southern Lord has given you so far?
Southern Lord has been really cool to work with. Awesome guys and they are super supportive. We get final say in everything we do and there's no pressure from them. It's been a really great working relationship so far. We couldn't be more pleased.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the newer material and also what are you listening to nowadays?
We take a lot of influence from bands like Integrity, Dismember, Slayer, Craft, Black Flag, Poison Idea, etc. We've all been listening to the new Craft record 'Void' a lot. There's a new track from the upcoming Leviathan record that's been posted and it's vicious. Really looking forward to that record to come out.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I work as a graphic designer/illustrator full time, so I'm usually looking at design books if I'm not playing guitar. Or looking up ridiculous shit on the internet.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?