1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?
Paul- Godstomper formed in 1991 when brothers Paul and Danny wanted to play fast noise grindcore like Napalm Death and Doom but couldn't find a guitarist whose wasn't a douchebag and so they kept it
as bass and drums because Paul can't play guitar at all. Then they went into hiatus and came back in 1996 playing some weird
blend of Spazz influenced powerviolence mixed with shoegazer doom rock.
2. How would you dsecribe your sound to someone who has never heard you
P- Spazz with just bass and drums . Or just noise.
3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?
P- Destroying authority , false people , religion , politics.
4. I have noticed that you have never had a guitar player in the band,
is it always going to remain that way?
P- Yes because most guitar players get sick of playing with us because
we aren't a platform for them to become huge rock stars.
5. What releases have you put out so far?
P- we ahave about 50 records , cd's, tapes in total .
6. How would you describe the musical progress over the years?
P- We have progressed very slowly because still play our song list from
13 years ago and have only attempted to play new songs live but on
recordings we made attempts to try other forms of experimentation most notably techno and noise but thats our background that we come from
but just mixing it into the hardcore punk scene.
7. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
P- personal songs about my life , anthems , rants , and protests but its all cryptic and vague .
8. What are some of the best shows that you have played so far?
P- Too many to mention but probably a show in a basement in New Mexico .
9. Are there any touring plans?
P- not right now since my brother is having another child.
10. What are your main influences music wise or non music wise?
P- I like college radio music since they play everything from grindcore
to experimental weird shit to soft pop shit so everything for me is a
influence . I like black and white photos ,old buildings., punk rock .
11. What are you listening to nowadays and what are some good bands or
releases that you would recommend?
P- I listen to alot of demos , like Assworship, C.U.N.T, Tea Party
Violence , Xanax Feast , Eating machine , Syntax . Bands I'd recommend
are Loaded for Bear , Bizarre X , Lake effect , Strains of the
Apocalypse ,Botox , Ninja Academy , Gone to Croatan , We be the Echo , The
Thermals,Thousands will Die , Bad Touch .
12. Are there any films or books that you would recommend?
P- The Devil and Daniel Johnston , Rubbers Lover , Meatball Machine , Blow , Goodfellas , Taxi Driver , Great rockn roll Swindle , Dirty Harry
, Children of men , Roller Ball, Vanishing Point .
13. How would you describe the power violence/crust/grind scene in your
P- Its active , smaller now than it was in the 90's which is cool ,
theres alot of new bands and older bands still playing like Phobia , and
new ones or current ones like Indisgust , What Shame , Intestinal
Infection ,Assworship, C.U.N.T, Bastard ass, Voetsek , Stormcrow , War Trash ,
Brain Oil, Suffering Luna and many many more but I think its hard for
bands to find venues , get financing for tours , recording, etc..
14. Any final words?
Thank you for the interview , support d.i.y and each other.
15. Thanks for the interview?