Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Goreaphobia Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
We're getting ready to release our second full-length album "Apocalyptic Necromancy" and play a festival out in Los Angeles CA with Autopsy on August 27th. We're already writing new music for a third album. So far, there's been a really good response towards the new album. We're working with Dark Descent Records now and Earsplit is doing publications for us, and we're very pleased to be working with them both. No more bad business and no more bad people involved, so things are progressing for a much more positive future.


2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
I think this album is more refined and vastly explored in all forms of extreme heavy metal music. And unlike our debut, "Mortal Repulsion", this album is an occult based conceptual opus.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new album explores?
It would be in the 2 years passed since "Mortal Repulsion", I've spent alot more time doing what I enjoy in my personal life. Which is occult practice and theory, a retrograde into all the things I've learned in the last 20 years. Rethinking everything from aggressive, pure, dark, emotional energy. This is how I see the world, the people in it, and the violent interaction and discontent within the human race. Spending those 2 years going back to the process of sigil magic, talismanic magic, magic squares, elemental divination, qliphothic practices, voudon gnostics and any known ancient culture's practice in communing with the dead and the lasting effect it has on the human psyche. Animal totems, shape-shifting, astral-projection, consumption of blood and human flesh. I'm basically taking everything I've mentioned and reintroducing it into society this day and age. I think of these things in these stages, which all leads to the inevitable belief I have that the human race is parasitic and the end result of this is the success of the universe will be the extinction of human influence. The rest is for other people to decide what they get out of the lyrics. The greatest part I've learned about magic and the focus, purpose, and energy that it presents is that it can always let an individual re-invent themselves through other eyes living and dead.

4. I noticed that when I listen to your new material the music seems much more darker and occultic than the stuff I heard in the 90's and I know that most of the members where in black metal bands for the last 15 years did their previous bands have any influence on the new sound of Goreaphobia?
My attitude towards playing extreme and aggressive occult heavy metal music has never changed. I carried that aspect into creating Blood Storm which is still active, and I carry that into Goreaphobia. It's who I am and what I know. I can't really speak for anyone else involved though. We've been the same people at the core in how we like to play aggressive heavy metal music. All four of us feed off of each other and inspire one another.


5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Personally, my favorite shows have always happened in Texas. From Houston to El Paso, they were all great. As far as out stage perfornce goes it's 1000% high energy, pure occult heavy metal nihilism.


6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
There's always plans and there's always talk but there's nothing put together to speak about at the moment unfortunately. Of course we want to tour for this album.

7. What is going on with the other projects these days?
Again, I can only speak for myself by saying Blood Storm is still alive and well, we still have an album to make. Everything is written, it just needs to be recorded. Alex plays in Incantation. Jim is a session player a few other bands and travels a bit. VJS does Tenebrous and sessions for Nightbringer.

8. On a worldwide level how has your new album been received by death metal fans?
It hasn't been officially released yet, so it's a little premature to say. A handful of people have done some online reviews and all the responses have been great. The album has been recieved with great enthusiasm and fans are enjoying the new songs (that are up on the Decibel and Earsplit websites) a bit more than Mortal Repulsion.

9. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?

Basically the same direction that we're heading now. Utilizing the best attributes of heavy metal music at it's darkest, most raw, pure form of energy. Musical influences will always be present and adapted into our vision.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the new album and also what are you listening to nowadays?
What I've been influenced by and listening to are the same things, and again I can only speak for myself. it's always Motorhead, Krokus, Razor, Venom, ACDC (Bon Scott years), Acid, Voivod, Whiplash, Hellhammer, Picture, Girlschool, Necrovore, Repulsion, Nocturnus, Celtic Frost, Samhain (from Holland), Joan Jett, The Who and Rush for me. There's always more though! A fact for myself, over the past year I've been deeply inspired by The Who's "Quadrophenia" album.


11. What are some of the forms of Occultism or Magick that have influenced the songwriting of the new material, I can actually see a lot of it in the music?
An occult process based on my theory, practice, and belief of what I call "The Nine Stages of Kor Necromancy" which is something that didn't come from any book, teaching, or articles. It came from my own emotions and mental energy working on an occult operation through abstinence from everyone else's influence. The title sums up all of the songs and the best, well-rounded title for the concept musically. Aggressive, raw, pure and to the point. I started testing myself with alot of theories based on pioneering occult practioners and writers in my own view of what's important. I think when everything is explored, if you are interested in it when you come out the other end, no matter what the outcome or result, you take the time and focus, the spiritual energy involved to pursue it, you should always find enlightenment. Black or white magic, dark or light, for me it's all one color, silver. Breaking yourself down to a primal lone existence of what's considered non-being and rediscovering yourself, and from that you rebuild yourself. You create your own magical universe, which I think of as freewill. Here's a magical quote that I like to say, taken from one of Kenneth Grant's books:"Every man and woman is a newborn star in the universe to shine, to glow, to give enlightenment of your own light. Be free in the darkness of the universe and explore with light." I could go on forever, but I won't. As I was told from my occult advisor back in 1990, one of the best arts of the occult is to explore everything with no rules, under no one's total influence, discover everything by your own freewill. Never copy everything. Rethink, relearn. Your results are always rewarded when you do things as a sole individual in the magical universe. No one person can ever have the same result as another. Explore and enjoy it. Watch what you come up with.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I'm a very religious Marvel comics fan, so I love reading and collecting comics and graphic novels. I love watching my old cartoons and Three Stooges. I love playing with my cats, they're very important to me. I love martial arts and have studied Tai Chi. I love reading occult books and band biographies as well. I am very insterested in astronomy too. I happily support Big Cat Rescue in Florida. I also like spending alot of quality time with my trusted love in life.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
I appreciate every serious heavy metal maniac tyrant out there that has helped and supported in any way to Goreaphobia and that we're still here more than 20 years later. You are all a part of this music. Thank you for still being here. Zos Kia Cultus!

No comments:

Post a Comment